Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Irrational Worries

Thus far, I've been really good about staying level headed with all things pregnancy-related. With most things in life I'm that way. I am more analytical and prefer to think things through before reacting, especially dramatically.

In the past week or so, I've had several worries pop into my mind that seem silly when I really think about it, but I can't help worrying about them! In no particular order, they are....

1. We have 9 1/2 weeks before babygirl's due date. In the past month, I know of at least 5 people who have given birth, ALL of them prior to their due date. What will I do if she comes in 6 weeks? I'm not prepared for 6 weeks! I'm prepared (sort of) for 9 1/2 weeks. Holy crap, I'm not ready for a baby in 6 weeks!!

2. My babygirl may be chunky and not the tiny little baby doll I have envisioned all along. -- This occured to me this weekend when I was shopping with my girlfriends, Katie, Heather and Sonya. I found adorable outfits, including a Ralph Lauren romper and a dark teal and pink floral ensemble for the summer. I imagine my tiny little girl looking so sweet in them. Not that chunky babies aren't so stinkin' cute, but that's just not what I envision my daughter to look like. And I could be completely wrong about that!

3. Where will I be when my water breaks, and what if I am sitting at my desk at work?? The majority of my office is men, and only half of the women have ever had children. How would they react? I would be mortified! I won't know what to do. I can't even imagine that happening and how everyone else would react. In fact, one of my male coworkers asked me this morning, somewhat jokingly, to not go into labor in the office.

4. How on earth are we going to have all of the baby gear we need? Who on earth buys the $300 travel system that will protect my babygirl in the car and roll her around on our walks? and Why would anyone spend $280 on a breastpump? Baby stuff is expensive! Some of it's fluff and totally unnecessary, like the adorable socks that look like mary jane shoes. But some of it is 'necessary,' and I just don't know how we'll end up with it without writing a check to Babies R Us that equals our mortgage payment.

Well, those are the thoughts creating the pretzel in my head. Laugh if you will... or if you're a mom already, you might sympathize with me. :)

9 comments:

thegroves said...

No worries. It will all come together... and it's good you're thinking about these things now (like the water breaking anywhere!) Our big gifts were given to us by groups... like 5-10 of D's family members got us our breast pump (so it was more like $20/person) and 6 people got us our stroller system (moms and gmas)so it too was like $50/person. Chunky or string bean... your baby will be perfect to you! In fact, my 9 pounder was "huge" but she was so long that she still wore newborn stuff (and has always fit into the exact size she's supposed to). It's funny how things work out! ;) Love you!

Molly said...

I know you are venting and not neccessarily asking for opinions, but alas, I will give one! :) As far as the water breaking/labor starting, every woman in the world has had that fear. The good news is that it rarely bursts and erupts water every where. It is usually more like a trickle and you'll think you're peeing your pants. I worried about that for 9 months and then mine never did break!

Everything else will just work. You two are awesome and will be awesome and most places are open 24 hours these days so if you realize there is something you need, you can go get it (or better yet, send Mike!). A lot of stuff you think you must have ends up sitting there getting unused.

(and by the way I would also suggest seeing if the hospital you are going to deliver at RENTS breast pumps (ours does) because you never know if breast feeding is going to work and its better to rent one for a while until you're sure than it is to fork out that kind of cash on something that you can't exactly re-sell!!)

In 6 weeks, remember that you said you weren't going to be ready in 6 weeks because all the moms that I know are usually pleading with God to just let the baby come out by that point! :)

Last but not least, if you think you're going to freak out, call Molly!!!!! :)

We love you and you are going to ROCK as a mother!!!!!!

The Rausch's said...

No matter if you go into labor early, with your water breaking in Target, and have no supplies for this baby....just remember, your baby is blessed to have you and Mike as it's parents.

Love ya! See you tonight!

Brooke said...

Once you hit the 37 week mark you'll be over the planning and ready for baby girl to arrive! I too work with mostly men (in a factory) and also worry that my water will break at work. The good thing is that all modesty has flown out the window with my expanding mid-section and I probably wouldn't care if it gushed all over in the middle of our factory! The good thing is that most people don't even experience the cliche "water break" because they go into labor earlier and start having contractions.
As for the baby gear... Everything will come together. We splurged and bought a breastpump but received the rest of our large items as gifts. We also received lots of gift cards that we used on some bigger items. You can always rent a breast pump too. We bought ours from the hospital and they gave us a 10% discount and it was cheaper than the sticker price at Babies R Us.

Don't worry and have fun. She'll be here before you know it.

Anonymous said...

$50 evenflow breastpumps work just as well as the expensive ones and can hold up to 3 -6 months of use. It isn't necessary to buy the most expensive ones out there.

The Pierce Family said...

"Everything's alright! It will all turn out for the best!" That is what DJ told me when I started all freaked out about Isaak and when he was going to come. I too was all worried about when my water would break. I was a nervous wreak that it would break while I was standing in front of a classroom of 26 children. I totally know that feeling. But, alas, my water did not break until the doc broke it, so it did not matter. And as far as what you don't have, it will work out. You will never know you can't live without it, if you never get to use it in the first place. I always said I could not live without a baby swing, and that was not something that we got before Isaak came, so I just did not have it, and things worked out just fine. And as far as the carseat, that will get bought, whether by someone as a gift, or by Mike after you deliver, you won't leave the hospital without it, so it will be okay.

All I can say is that I know the feeling, and things will work out for the best. They always do when God is looking down on you, as I know he is always doing for you, Mike, and babygirl, too.

And as far as delivering early, she will come when she is ready, and you'll make it work. Because you're mom, and you'll do anything for your little angel.

The Goodknights said...

Hey Biz-I think what you are going through is so typical of women about to have a baby....I did want to send one website your way....of a blog that I check daily. Some days it is totally useless to me, but all the time it has great great great discounts and coupons for ANYTHING baby. Just a few blog posts were tons of Babies R Us coupons..including that travel system. There are often diaper coupons even! Add it to your daily blog checks and you might find some great deals. http://babycheapskate.blogspot.com/

Also, I didn't buy my pump until after I knew I could use it or not and I didn't buy the 280 medela one but the 150 medela swing pump. It only does one side at a time but it was signifigantly cheaper and I love it.

You are going to be an amazing mother to your baby girl...look at you already worried about her before she's even here...what a lucky one she is! Best of luck! Can't wait to follow you and her through your blog!

Anonymous said...

one of my girlfriends went into labor w/ baby #1 at work- but no water breaking and she was able to drive herself to the hospital! but we joked about the same thing. last case scenario i was her back-up driver to the hospital:) just saw the little guy for the first time yesterday- 4.5 wks old, tiny and skinny as could be when he was born and he's filling out so quickly! i'm pretty sure however your little girl turns out you're just gonna love her to death:)

MH said...

if you weren't worried, that's when we'd all be worried!

you guys are going to be wonderful parents! just look how much love and support you have!