Monday, July 20, 2009

Anabelle Update

It's been a rough 24 hours for us. Just wanted to give a quick update and request your prayers!

Anabelle had a fever on Friday, which we contributed to her 8 week immunization shots that she got on Wednesday. We gave her Tylenol, and she did well all day. By Friday night, her body was on fire, and I knew it wasn't normal. I had to go to the neighbor's house, crying, to have them help me take her temperature rectally. It was 102.4. After Mike got home, she was still hot, and it was up to 103.2. We called the doctor. He said to monitor it, and if after another dose of Tylenol it remained over 101.5, we needed to go to the ER. It was 100.9, so we continued on Tylenol and just loved on her all day Saturday.

On Sunday, she seemed a little better, but continued a pattern of sleeping 5-6 hours at a time and hardly eating. By Sunday night, she was heating up again, and her temp came in at 102.7 before she started pooping on me (ha!). We called our doctor again who sent us to the ER. After getting there at 10:00 PM, they brought her back for testing. Terrible testing. They put an IV in her, which took three tries. Painstaking tries. She has my tiny veins and a blood curdling scream when she's in pain, which did not go well together. They ended up sticking her in her temple! Talk about pitiful. Then, they did a spinal tap to test for meningitis. Good grief, how terrifying for a new mom and dad to watch their 2 month old get a SPINAL TAP!

After hours of crying on Mike and my part and hours of cuddling her, we finally made it up to a room in the hospital about 5:30 AM and got to sleep at 6. Then our doctor started his rounds at 7AM. And nurses proceeded to come through every hour thereafter. Needless to say, it's been a sleepless day.

Anabelle seems to be doing much better this evening. They have her on an IV with fluids and electrolytes running through her. She's also getting generic antibiotics to help her fight the bacteria attacking her inside. Tomorrow evening we should know the results from the cultures they're testing. It will tell us for sure if it's a urinary tract infection, which is what our doctor believes it is. If that's accurate, we'll get to go home on Wednesday.

We will be thrilled to get our girl home and back in her own bed. It's been heart-breaking to watch her go through the pain and trauma. We truly know that love and absolute self-sacrifice that parents have. We would appreciate your prayers that everything checks out and it's easily treatable. I will keep you posted!
She is tuckered OUT from all of the work they did on her.

She loves the balloon Mimi and Papa brought her!

This is my favorite photos. The caption should read "Haven't I had enough torturing, mom??" This is her this evening, with some sweetness back in her cooing and some brightness back in her eyes!

6 comments:

Steven and Megan Woods said...

My heart goes out to all three of you! You are such wonderful parents. I hope today goes well and you are all home tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

we are certainly praying for you guys! what a tough cookie she is!!!!

Molly said...

Oh my gosh, that last picture is a hoot!!!! She is so sweet even with that big old nasty thing in her head!!!!! How I wish I lived closer so I could come hold her (and you!) We're praying!!

The Pierce Family said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry to hear about this! I hope and pray that everything is okay and that everything checks out as an easy fix. Please keep the updates coming and if there is anything we can do, please call me!

The Saunders Family said...

:( how scary...praying she is back to the picture of health soon!

Destiny Vanover said...

shes so tiny and cute in praying 4 her